"Your heart is the only place in which you can meet God face to face." (Hindu proverb)
God is everywhere in India. Religion and spirituality are not secondary to anything here - practicing a faith is the cultural norm, and people quite literally wear their religion on their sleeves. Whether it be in the form of a Islamic head covering, to rosary beads dangling from the rear view mirror in the car, everyone practices some form of religion. The top faiths in India, in order, are Hindu, Islam and Christianity, with myriad others filling in the ample space below. (Jaina Dharma anyone?) While here, I've had the pleasure of receiving many faithful blessings for the new year, and I really do want to take them to heart. Even though I don't subscribe to a particular faith, I welcome spirituality in my life. And positive intentions. So for that, I am grateful, and hope that in the weeks to come when the melee of everyday life has returned, I can reflect and draw inspiration from the values and practices that have been shared with me here.
God is everywhere in India. Religion and spirituality are not secondary to anything here - practicing a faith is the cultural norm, and people quite literally wear their religion on their sleeves. Whether it be in the form of a Islamic head covering, to rosary beads dangling from the rear view mirror in the car, everyone practices some form of religion. The top faiths in India, in order, are Hindu, Islam and Christianity, with myriad others filling in the ample space below. (Jaina Dharma anyone?) While here, I've had the pleasure of receiving many faithful blessings for the new year, and I really do want to take them to heart. Even though I don't subscribe to a particular faith, I welcome spirituality in my life. And positive intentions. So for that, I am grateful, and hope that in the weeks to come when the melee of everyday life has returned, I can reflect and draw inspiration from the values and practices that have been shared with me here.






















No comments:
Post a Comment